This is a couple days old by now, but I’m still trying to figure out why exactly far-right Iowa congressman Steve King found it necessary to namecheck Socrates and Plato in the process of defending his claim that, to put it Kanye West-style, “Barack Obama doesn’t care about white people.”
As far as I can figure out, the reasoning goes like this:
- My argument is correct.
- Smart people agree with correct arguments.
- Smart people disagree with incorrect arguments.
- People laugh at what they disagree with.
- Smart people laugh at incorrect arguments.
- Socrates and Plato are famous smart people.
- Socrates and Plato would laugh at views that conflict with my argument.
Which is internally consistent I guess, but not, um, up to inclusion in the Republic.